For Developers
Manufacturer Support
Appliances
Training & Certification

Problems with new Vitelity trunk on Elastix 2.0

General help forum

Problems with new Vitelity trunk on Elastix 2.0

Postby garrywadams » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:15 am

Anyone on here using Elastix 2.0 and Vitelity as their provider?

I set up an account with Vitelity (IP authentication, NOT registrations) and they have looked at my trunk/inbound route setup and everything looks good. I can place outbound calls no problem, but inbound calls ring and then hang up. They never connect. (Meaning, the calling party hears a ringing tone, and my phone on my side rings, but regardless of whether I pick it up, the calling party gets a call failed message and I get nothing.) It doesn't matter if I route the call to an extension or an IVR, as soon as the call connects, it drops.

Vitelity is at a total loss and so am I. I'd love to use them if I could get their service working. Anyone here had success with them on the new platform, or willing to take a look at my routing to see what I might be missing?
garrywadams
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Re:Problems with new Vitelity trunk on Elastix 2.0

Postby telecomtechnician » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:59 am

Hi there,

I have a similar problem with a sip trunk (in my case there is no registration).

You can try this:

Register a softphone with this account. Try to make and receive calls through the registered softphone. If everything works fine, then there is a configuration problem in the elastix server, if not, then there could be a problem or a bad config in the VOIP provider.

Waiting for your comments

David Medina
telecomtechnician
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby garrywadams » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:08 am

Question...

How can I register a softphone to an account that is only set to se IP authentication? Will it still work? I've never tried it before.
garrywadams
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby telecomtechnician » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:17 am

hi there

Good question

You will have to figure it out. That is part of learning and testing. I have not done it either. But you have to figure out if you have an elastix config problem or if the VOIP provider has something wrong in your sip account.

In my case I did the same test (sip registration) and with the softphone, the sip accounts that I have, they registered fast on the first try. I can make and receive calls with no problem. My problem is in the configuration of the trunk in the elastix server.

Waiting for your comments

David Medina
telecomtechnician
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby rnrover » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:47 pm

I am having the exact same issue. I have voip.ms trunks that have the same problem. This started with me when I did the yum update. I know others are having this problem because Vitelity said there is a bug in this 2.0,

The temporary fix right now is to only have one SIP trunk and use registration instead of direct to IP.

I have tried many setting options, but with me having this issue on two different providers, logically makes me believe it is an Elastix issue that needs to get fixed ASAP. If I don't solve it by tomorrow night I will have to load another distro to get my lines back up. :angry:

This is my vitelity trunk settings.

type=friend
dtmfmode=auto
host=inbound7.vitelity.net
context=from-trunk
username=myusername
secret=mypassword
allow=all
insecure=port,invite
canreinvite=no
rnrover
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby dicko » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 pm

I don't believe you can blame Elastix for this directly, I have encountered similar issues with Asterisk 1.6 (ironically, soon to be end of life) both by packged distribution and by hand compilation, as such I don't use it, (thusly I don't use Elasitix 2.0 for production either, for this and other reasons).

Maybe revert to Elastix 1.6 and asterisk 1.4, I have generally little issues there with vitelity or other IP based VSP's (apart from an outbound server they broke yesterday, but that's another story . . .)

dicko
There are other solutions!!
dicko
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby telecomtechnician » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi there

1) Have you tried registering a softphone directly with the sip account? Please do that and make inbound and outbound calls.

2) Have you changed your router?. Please do this too.

I had exactly the same problem a few months ago with a local VOIP provider, (no registration or registration errors). If I had the trunks registered and turn off my voip server, the next day the trunks did not register. I had to reset to default my router and load up the configuration so it could register the trunks. All of these problems ended when I changed my router.

I can tell you that I turn off my voip server every night and turn it on in the morning and it registers all my trunks just fine.

Good luck

David Medina
telecomtechnician
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby dicko » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Thanks for you input telecomtechnician:

But the problem is not with registration, with an IP based account, there is no registration involved, the calls will be sent directly to the IP that Vitelity is told to use.

Ideally one can, and usually will, tell Vitelity to use a different UDP port for each DID inbound connection, and we caN arrange for a different inbound trunk on that port to suit, we do this often for billing purposes or whatever, this worked in Asterisk 1.4 but seems a little confused in 1.6, it screws up those connections.
dicko
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby garrywadams » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:16 pm

As stated by rnrover, setting one of the trunks to registration seems to work fine. That's how we have both carriers trunked in currently. One of them (Bandwidth.com) is trunked using IP authentication, and the other (Vitelity) is trunked using a registration. It works fine as long as you are not using IP authentication for both. It is unfortunate that this issue hasn't had much attention, as this is kind of a core piece of functionality that any IP based PBX system should be able to handle without a problem.

I am excited about the prospect of Asterisk 1.8, especially being an LTS. We are currently developing an alternative solution to the Elastix platform that we are running now. (We need something that can handle multi-tenant functionality) It will be based on Asterisk 1.8 rather than 1.6.
garrywadams
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Postby dicko » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:21 pm

Can I assume you used a different SIP port for each connection, particularly with multiple connection from the same VSP to the same server (you can bundle DID's to the same connection) ? , It gets WAY more complicated with a NATed server.

If not you might be screwed multiply :) :) , I assumed that nobody would do that, sorry if you did, "duh" if you didn't the question would then be be "how will it know?"

Basically, if you are not doing that it just won't work, If you are please see my previous concerns about 1.6

(Is this maybe called a cluster fcuk ? )
dicko
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Postby rnrover » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:54 am

I had Vitelity connected via ip authentication and voip.ms connected via registration. I have been using a cisco router for the past two years and have not changed any settings. Vitality changed the settings to registration with two trunks instead of one because IP authentication stopped working a few days ago.

This may have caused voip.ms to break also because their port is set to 5060. I am going to see if I can change the ports for voip.ms to 5061. I know we have not been able to change vitelity's ports in the past, but I will let you know if this fixes the issue. :angry:
rnrover
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby rnrover » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 pm

[quote="rnrover"]I had Vitelity connected via ip authentication and voip.ms connected via registration. I have been using a cisco router for the past two years and have not changed any settings. Vitality changed the settings to registration with two trunks instead of one because IP authentication stopped working a few days ago.

This may have caused voip.ms to break also because their port is set to 5060. I am going to see if I can change the ports for voip.ms to 5061. I know we have not been able to change vitelity's ports in the past, but I will let you know if this fixes the issue. :angry:

OK this is me with egg on my face. After two lengthy tech support sessions with Vitelity, Mike in Tech support saw that they were receiving two registrations from my IP address. He told me that another server was registering with them. After I went to my server room I found out that my backup server had been turned on. I have a grand daughter that loves to visit our server room and likes to press buttons.

Anyway After turning off our backup server a miracle happened. Everything started working as it should. The DID's started working and I have to say that Vitelity rocks. Their tech support techs stayed the course. :cheer:
rnrover
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder

Postby garrywadams » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:30 pm

I know this thread has been stale for a while, but I revisited the issue and resolved it last week. Sometimes it just takes a break from an issue to look at it clearly again.

The problem was very simple. Vitelity has you create 2 trunks for IP routed calls. One is for inbound calls, one is for outbound calls. I was used to looking at the config for my Bandwidth.com trnunk that combines inbound and outbound traffic into a single trunk. I'm not saying that they CAN'T be set up as a single trunk for Vitelity, but when I followed the documentation on the Vitelity support site exactly and created an inbound trunk with their settings, plus an outbound trunk with their settings, it worked. I now have Bandwidth.com and Vitelity both routing calls through IP routed trunks, behind a NAT firewall, both using port 5060, and it is all working exactly as it should. No dropped calls, no weird trunk issues.

If anyone has followed this thread and needs conig examples, I'd be happy to provide them.
garrywadams
Fresh Boarder
Fresh Boarder

Return to Help