For Developers
Manufacturer Support
Appliances
Training & Certification

Setup apache webserver on same PC as Elastix serve

New to Elastix and VoIP world? Start here

Setup apache webserver on same PC as Elastix serve

Postby eiger3970 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:13 pm

Can I setup an apache webserver on the same pc that runs the Elastix server?

I was thinking of running a virtual server, however the Elastix CD install clears the HDD and installs Centos5.

Does anyone have some tips?
I use:
Elastix 2.0 32bit (MOBO blew up with a SATA to IDE data converter). Now Elastix 2.0.2 64bit.
CPU Info: GenuineIntel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
CPU usage: 0.73% used of 2,405.67 MHz
Memory usage: 22.37% used of 979.13 Mb
Hard Drive: 14% used of 16.44GB
eiger3970
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Re:Setup apache webserver on same PC as Elastix serve

Postby danardf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi.

Why not, i think that's possible to declare a virtual server linked to a custom path.
ImageImage
www.roomx.fr - RoomX RSS Feed - Franck Danard - franck.danard@roomx.fr
danardf
Administrator
Administrator

Postby eiger3970 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:48 pm

I need help on where to start.
If I try to install a virtual software program, which I'm a noob at, I thought it needs an operating system to be built on.

Problem is, installing elastix needs an empty hard drive so Elastix installs it's own Centos operating system.

Once Elastix is installed, I don't know how I can then install a virtual software program?

Please help as I would like to cut the electricity bills which are costing a fortune.
I use:
Elastix 2.0 32bit (MOBO blew up with a SATA to IDE data converter). Now Elastix 2.0.2 64bit.
eiger3970
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby Amphibian » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:49 am

eiger3970;

Sir, I don't know what part of the world you are in that running just a web server on one machine and you Elastix on another that it would be eating that much electricity. If it is, you must have a hell of a massive work load being performed on both machines.

The hassle of setting up a virtual server (especially if you don't know how) or opening up your Elastix machine to run standard http web page just so you can turn off one computer in my opinion fruitless.

If your web server is costing that much (hell, my French door refrigerator pulls more juice then my web servers does) then move it to a laptop or set your web server up on a time schedule (write a cron job for shutdown) where it shuts off at night and then turn it back on in the morning after you shower & shave if you don't need it during those hours.

As your were advised in another post, I wouldn't risk setting up a web server on the same machine as the Elastix machine is on.

Just my two cents worth.

Amphibian
"I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but, I'm not the only dull tool in the shed either.
Amphibian
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder

Postby eiger3970 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks Amphibian for the reply.

My electricity bill was $700 for the quarter! Usually around $300-$350. Prices are going up sharply with strong effects on the low and middle classes in this country.
Probably from running 3 or 4 computers with 600-750 Watt PSUs in addition to normal house use.

I have installed Linux Mint 13 Maya 64-bit.
I have installed VirtualBox in Linux Mint 13 Maya 64-bit.
I have installed Elastix 2.3.0 32-bit on a new VirtualBox machine named Elastix.

I just need to migrate my old Elastix 2.3.0 32-bit from one computer/server to this new computer/server.

Elastix without any configuration is running and networked fine on the new computer/server, so once the migration is complete I can test if works fine, then place Elastix, LAMP and FTP on whatever computer/server has the better specs and electricity effieciency.

I was trying the backup/restore, however the new Elastix computer/server doesn't have a clear GUI for restore?

I have the backups (less heavy content) on my old computer/server.
I ran a backup on the new computer/server which generated a file in the Elastix backup on the new computer/server, but still no option to restore?

Please help?

p.s. I think it's also a security concern as hosting WAMP on my own computer makes me nervous.
On the VoIP/LAMP/FTP computer it's safer as I'm not a large multi national corporation, just a small fish with not much to lose.
I use:
eiger3970
Senior Boarder
Senior Boarder

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:21 pm

eiger3970,

First of all, I concur with Amphibians thoughts....they are pretty well on the mark.
Even with 600/700W PSU's in general use these are sitting around 200W or less, even servers with their multiple fans, several hard disks are the same. I further back this up as I monitor the power that my rack utilises and I have a 24 port switch, 5 Active Servers, routers and it consumes 400W. I have a couple of older IBM Servers (3 years old), and even when I turn them on, the total is 750W.

Couple this with 4 other workstations (almost always on), and my Electricity bill is about $400 a quarter, but I do keep an eye on the rest of the house (without going stupid), and turn off lights not in use, turn off tv when not in use etc....

If you haven't already, grab a $25 power monitor that goes in line with your equipment and actually see what you are really using.

I am taking a big guess that you are in Canberra (where they have announced the power price hikes a month or so ago) which is where I live.

However having said all that, I recognise that any saving is a saving.

As long as your Elastix box is a SIP based system only (e.g. no hardware) then virtualising your systems is probably the best way to go....but you do need some reasonable hardware to perform this. When I say reasonable, I am generally talking about a 64Bit processor and utilise VMWARE or XEN.

You can get by with 32Bit processor but you will be limited to version 4 of VMware Server which was the last to use 32Bit processors.

Thankfully due to the products you are using, you do not need large amounts of memory or CPU speed.

I have systems running on VMware and XEN and work very well (production use).

The difference with VMWARE and XEN is that they are installed at the base (e.g. they are not applications that run on a desktop or server). Yes this means wiping the machine that you want to use, but well worth the investment in time.

Just one last note, unless you have done extensive setup in Elastix, I would backup just your Freepbx using the freepbx backup, install the Elastix fresh on your virtualised server and restore the freepbx (I do this on a regular basis with no major issues)....

Regards

Bob
http://www.Elastixconnection.com - Website back online - new fresh format
Application guides for Elastix - Fault finding Guides
News and Elastix Links - Security Guides
Bob
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Newbie's Corner